Friday, January 13, 2006

Prayer Series Statement

Fahimeh Vahdat email address

Art becomes transcendent as it progressively lets go of a self-directed focus, extending outwards to family, friends, community and to God. Prayer can be part of such a voyage. In prayer we have the opportunity to rise above prayers for your direct self-interest, and to concentrate on others who are in need. Prayer for Daughters, Prayer for Detachment, Prayer for the Earth, are visual meditations on specific themes.

The voiced prayer, the thought prayer, the intoned prayer, are no different, in my mind, than is a prayer I may paint. As with music, which often better expresses our meanings than do words, visual abstraction, including symbols, has a superior potential for universal communication. Color relationships, texture and symbols are not bound by cultural or ethnic lines. The meaning and intensity of a visual image is available to all.

My approach involves immersing myself in my chosen materials, currently oil and encaustic on wooden panels, allowing symbols to arise as I successively generate, layer, veil and rework the images. In effect, the painting documents my mind’s eye in the process of meditation as I interact with the materials. The paintings are spontaneous in the sense that they ride the moment of my awareness and are not pre-designed. At the same time, the finished work may be structured like a blanket in which many overlapping stories are woven.
Copyright © 2006 Fahimeh Vahdat

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fahimeh! Its Carley Weber here!! Just stopping by to say hello... i miss you all. It is so strange to leave a place with so many creative people, and try to find the same inspiration elsewhere... I am trying though! I am going to take photos of all of my new work, and i cant wait to get some feedback from all of the students and instructors that I care about! talk to you soon Fahimeh!

Myspace.com/Carleyrae
cweb27@hotmail.com

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home